Review: It's Kind Of A Funny Story




Book  cover for "It's Kind of a Funny Story"


It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010)






In this story of  a teenager that finds himself depressed and oddly enough checks himself into the Psychiatric Ward of his local hospital.


This was released in theatres as a comedy and got overlooked period.







I am not a fan of Zach Galifianakis at all I saw "The Hangover" and did not find it funny at all he was terrible(in my opinion).


Here however he seemed likable and sometimes felt pity for him.


If you want to see a warm film about teen depression(or depression at all)then check this movie out.







I found this movie just by a fluke it was on a movie channel and we were cancelling it so I taped a few movies I would not have paid to see in the theatres, this was one of them.


I found it to cover depression very well as it is unseen and only known to those that suffer from it I have and so have many of my friends and family alike.


If you like movies like "Ordinary People"








 or


"Night Mother"


(sorry no trailer or video for this)







This film has Sissy Spacek and Anne Bancroft in it.


Just the two women in it and is based on a play of the same name.


I also found that the adults in this movie treated the kids in this film about the same, normally teens are at another ward but the teen ward is under maintenance.




The psychiatrist in this film Dr Eden Minera(Viola Davis)is very sympathetic to the people in this film and I applaud the writer for doing so, there are films lately like "Dog Pound" that I watched recently and the psychiatrist in it was annoyed by the teens she saw and I felt sad for them.


I was not blown away by this film but for a film that was originally listed as a comedy I will take the drama any day over what classifies a comedy today.







Thanks for reading this


Sincerely


Anthony Nadeau





Comments