Oliver Ridge: Film Producer, Filmmaker-- Interview for Whistler Film Festival 2016






I was contacted by Sandro Monetti with BAFTA LA  for a request for an interview with Oliver Ridge from London , England who is here to have his film "The Last Days of Summer" that had it's debut at 

Festival de cinéma de la ville de Québec earlier this year.

It was also played and received Best Film at The Rhode Island Film Festival. I had congratulated him and asked Oliver what his thoughts were on the win:





Thank you! To win was an incredible feeling, and when you talk about highlights, that has to be one. My favorite moment however, has to be seeing the credits roll at the end of my first film and knowing it was finished. I made a movie, and no one could ever take that away from me.  



Oliver has a talent that covers not only producing but past years as an actor , assistant director all coming after working as an unpaid intern. I asked him a few questions about producing and some other things as well:





Having worked in both your home country and now working in the USA do you find any difference in terms of support for the arts? film or the written word?




 Both England and America share a wonderful respect for the arts, and I am lucky to have been able to have projects in both markets. The main differences I have found are in the tastes of the audiences, rather than in the support of my peers.  



  For those not familiar with producing and all it's aspects, could you please explain it?



 As a producer, you are responsible for overseeing a project from the start, until completion. It includes pieces of everything… budgeting, casting, scouting, dealing with different departments heads and finally working on bringing your film to your audience. I love to be involved as much as I can.



 Also explain your interest in producing films and wanting to pursue it? 



 I worked on a variety of film sets both big and small to get a feel for filmmaking. I started as an unpaid intern before becoming an assistant director and after that I trained as an actor for a number of years. I feel I covered my bases for film, both in front and and behind the camera and my interest in producing came from the desire to combine all my experiences and knowledge I have gained through the many people that have helped me get here. 



Any people you look up too in the field you work in?



 The film industry is full of people I respect. Having said that, Nicolas Winding Refn is without question my favorite film maker. The films of David Fincher and Denis Villeneuve have also influenced me a great deal. 



 Is this your first time attending the Whistler Film Festival & what do you think of Canada?



It is my first time attending the festival in Whistler, but it is a home coming of sorts as I spent several years living in the area and was addicted to their mountains. I also studied at university in Vancouver, where I did my degree. It will always have a special place in my heart. 







   Above : William Fichtner stars in "The Last Days of Summer"



 Story Synopsis:A middle-aged man in a stagnant marriage, finds his life upended when an attractive young woman and her seemingly abusive husband move in next door. 

Here is the trailer:







 Any films in your future and are they short or feature films?



 Three films are in my diary right now, two features of different genres and one short film that I will be directing. 



Also directed a short film starring Eric Roberts called "Bluebird" that has also been gaining a lot of attention at festivals across the globe.









How does you being a member of Bafta's LA Newcomers Program help you or other individuals?



 To be part of such an incredible organization and to be highlighted by them in such a way is a huge help and a massive honor. They offer classes from industry legends, they network with you and they push you to be a better artist. I am very lucky.



If you could choose one director or actor/actress you were told you could produce their next film, it would be...?



 I would cut off a limb to work with Refn, I hope one day it will happen. Hopefully with all of my limbs!





Thank you for reading this

Sincerely 

Anthony Nadeau



Comments