British Columbia Talent--Interview With Samantha Landa -Drummer Vancouver BC, Canada







Samantha was endorsed by Los Cabos Drumstick.com last year.
Los Cabos Drumsticks.com(click here)









What was your inspiration to start drumming and was it your first instrument of choice?


My first instrument was piano--I played classical from age 3 to 13. At age 11 I was partially inspired by a boy band to start drumming...I won’t mention which one...but I always liked a good rhythm and I didn’t want to play piano anymore. I asked the grade 6 band teacher what the ‘hardest instrument in the band to learn’ was, and she said ‘drums or french horn’. Drums were cheaper and simpler because they had a kit at school, so my mom said yes.





Who would you say influenced your drumming and made you want to make it a career choice?





Mercedes Lander (Kittie) was my main influence as a young teenager, and then Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater) and Martin Lopez (ex-Opeth). I’ve always loved performing and entertaining people, so I thought sure, if I can play live for people and get them moving while playing the instrument I love, if I can make a career of it I’ll do it.




Copyright Visions By Pixel(Derek Carr) -Used with Permission


          





For me, a lot of people cannot believe that I like/love Heavy Metal why do you think metal gets such a bad rap?


I think because metal ‘looks’ scary with black clothing and spikes, and the heavier stuff ‘sounds’ scary with the brutal, aggressive vocals. I’m not surprised it seems like a crazy, intense lifestyle from the outside. But then you meet metalheads, or go to a metal show, and realize metal lovers are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. And this music is a great way to get out bad feelings and pent up energy. Maybe that’s why metalheads are so chill.








Is it Heavy Metal you first chose to drum to? You seem well rounded in your skills as a drummer.





I started with rock, punk rock, for the most part. The bands I was listening to at the time, which was probably Gob, early Green Day, NOFX, Pennywise. I started getting into post hardcore, and prog metal, which just got heavier as the years went on. Now I think I’ve settled into melodic death and thrash, although I’m still exploring other sub-genres all the time.













Dead Asylum is a local Vancouver, BC band how long has the band been around and how did you become a part of it?





I’m one of the founding members of Dead Asylum--we started the band in 2011.










Some exciting news --for those that do not know.


Brazilian band Nervosa -(signed to Napalm Records)had recently had to replace their drummer for a small tour and you were asked to be their drummer for that. You are now also going on tour with them in Europe as well. Am so very excited for you and how did this all come about for you? Any ideas if they plan on keeping you as their drummer for the long haul?







We have mutual friends in other bands, so when their drummer quit and they needed to find a (female) drummer in North America who could learn their set in less than a week and go on tour, a friend recommended they contact me. The North America tour was great, and here we are about a third of the way through the European tour with Destruction, Flotsam & Jetsam and Enforcer, and we’re having an incredible time.




-Copyright -Kevin Eisenlord Photography(Used with Permission)





I thank you for your time on this Samantha and wish you the most success in your tour and with the band.


Sincerely


Anthony Nadeau






Comments