Murder At Yellowstone City Starring Gabriel Byrne, Thomas Jane, Isaiah Mustafa, Anna Camp, Aimee Garcia, Emma Kenney, with Nat Wolff, and Richard Dreyfuss

There's an old saying that less is more and even in the presentation of the poster, when so many of them are often so busy--we get a lone gunman, not knowing who he/she is standing across from. 

I'm happy to say that that mystery continues deep into this clearly classic-inspired western.



As westerns often start we have a stranger who comes to the local town, no difference here. Isaiah Mustafa(above left)who plays Cicero, he makes others in the town uneasy as he walks from the stables to the saloon, upon entering, people stop for a few seconds to see who it is, then go back to what they were doing. Like the piano player, gets back to his song. The saloon is run by Edgar Blake(Richard Dreyfuss, above right), I think Cicero feels like he might have found a friend.

One of the local men strikes it rich in the hills, at the start of the film, we see him running from the explosion that opens more of the area he thinks gold is resting. Robert Dunnigan(Zach Mcgowan-center) comes into town, on his horse blasting his gun in the air, shouting that he has struck gold. Finds the town a little vacant as it is Sunday and the town is at church. Robert wants to share his riches with the townspeople and even clear up some of his debts.

When Robert ends up dead, the sheriff  James Ambrose(Gabriel Byrne)has no doubt that the murder took place at the hands of Cicero and, is set on arresting and convicting him of the murder.
This is where the film got really interesting for me, the mystery of who did this terrible act is hidden better than I thought it might be, I made some guesses, but I was wrong. I like a movie that keeps you guessing, also one that is done as well as this was.

This is not only one of the best westerns I have seen in many years but easily one of the best films of this year for me.
Now, not only does the movie look and sound great but there is a magnificent score that grabs you from the opening scenes of the film,  Mel Elias Armando Ortega Jr. created one of the most epic soundtracks to any movie in recent memory. This helps bring the already great performances some more depth and mystery for the viewer.

I have been a lifelong fan of western films since I remember seeing Shane, The Magnificent Seven, my favorite would have to be Pale Rider, too many to mention actually.
I look forward to seeing this again and adding it to my already fair collection of westerns when it becomes available on physical media.





Comments