Toronto After Dark Film Festival 2022--The Features

This is just year #2 for me to cover Toronto After Dark Film Festival, even though this is their 16th year doing this. They have a great mix of movies, shorts, and in-person events. I covered it remotely with a good portion of the films available to review, below are the ones I enjoyed. I should note that not all the films that were shown at the festival were available remotely.


H4Z4RD is one of those films that doesn't let you or the characters breathe. At least not when the action is happening or the underwater scene.
When I finished watching it, I realized it has the same vibe as District 13 & its sequel District 13: Ultimatum, just no martial arts or parkour. Both are extremely entertaining films.
H4Z4RD was a crowdpleaser at Fantastic Fest and easily one of my favorite films of the year. The film is from Belgium,  Noah Hazard (Euro superstar DJ Dimitri ‘Vegas’ Thivaios) stars in the film and he's on fire here, great performance and he really makes us care about the situations he really isn't responsible for, and yet he seems to be getting the brunt of it. You have to watch to understand what happens. His cousin who was just recently released from prison gets them into a mess that there is no turning back from, also with some consequences that happen with the kinds of people who they are dealing with. If you enjoy a good action film, here's one for you.




The visit to grandma's house is always such an enjoyable time and she loves to spoil her grandkids, sorry wrong movie...
Mexican director Issac Ezban really brings some satisfying horror elements and a chilling performance from Ofelia Medina as Josefa(grandma). Who actually gave me chills from her performance and caused a few jump scares that were not easy to predict.
I applaud any movie that can change your idea of what is going to happen, this has some of the same scenarios that we have seen before, but the way they are presented and filmed gives it that little bit more of an edge, at least for me.
When her younger sister becomes ill & their parents have exhausted every effort to help her get better, they leave the girls with grandma to look into what they think might be a cure.
I didn't see a lot of things coming, most of all, the ending.
I watch a lot of movies and horror is one of my favorite genres, this is one of the better ones from this year!.


 

Comments