Other People's Children Movie Review--In Theaters(Sphere Films Canada)

Story synopsis:

Rachel is 40 years old, with no children. She loves her life: her high school students, her friends, her ex, her guitar lessons. When she falls in love with Ali, she becomes attached to Leila, his 4-year-old daughter. She tucks her into bed, cares for her, and loves her like her own. But to love other people’s children is risky.



Well, it's so nice to have an adult film about relationships, what happens when a child is a part of it, and exes and other real situations that we often find ourselves in. Where the sex is not made to make the audience feel uncomfortable, whereas most movies make you feel like you need a shower after.

Some real issues come about, even though Rachel & Lelia have developed a fondness for each other, she questions her father why she has to be there all the time.
I found the chemistry between the two leads Virginie Efira(Rachel) & Roschdy Zem(Ali) one of the more genuine and believable romances in years.


Callie Ferreira Goncalves is quite wonderful as Lelia, Ali's 4-year-old daughter, who is often wishing her mother was there, which is not uncommon for a child of her age.

Virginie Efira(above), is wonderful as Rachel, glowing and so full of love for everyone in her life. When she meets Ali, you can feel the energy between the two of them, such great performances from both of them. I look forward to seeing what they both do next.

In some scenes where only people acknowledge each other, and nothing is said, smiles are exchanged.

This is not a corny rom-com and I think that's what I like the most about it.


In a scene that is not commonplace for a film like this, when they decide to end the relationship Rachel picks Lelia up after her judo class and they go for a walk.

What follows is a very adult talk about it.

Lelia: Who'll take me to judo?

Rachel Lots of people, people you love

Lelia: Will I still see you?

Rachel: Lelia, I don't decide anymore, but maybe, less than before.

it doesn't mean I won't think of you.

Lelia: Are you going to die?

Rachel: No, not at all, I'll be alive 

Lelia: Are you going on holiday?

Rachel: (laughs) No, I'll be....I'll be in the same town, I'll be alive but we won't see each other like before.

Lelia: Will you and me go on holiday?

Rachel: No, we won't, that's finished

Lelia: That makes me sad, please?

Rachel: No, don't be sad, I don't want you to be sad, ever. Don't forget me, but don't think about me too much. ok? 

Lelia nods her head.








Comments