The Beasts Movie Review--Powerful & Effective- One Of The Best Of The Year!


About as solid as a film can get! 

I'm not sure if I will see a better film this year.

The mounting tension between the two families who live directly next door to each other is both powerful and effective.

I was quite sure how the story would unfold but, I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

When I was asked if I wanted to see this film, I was unsure what it was about, but, after seeing the trailer and the poster certainly had me intrigued. I don't recall seeing something so tense before in a poster for a film, if I have it's been a while.

Denis Menochet(Antoine Denis)& Marina Fois(Olga Denis) are organic vegetable growers, even though they live a life that is peaceful from where we the viewer can see, it's anything but between them and their neighbors, who live directly next door. The Denis are French and they have moved to Spain and have been harassed and ridiculed since they arrived, mostly Antoine, who likes to go to the local bar.

Even though Antoine dwarfs a lot of those who are in town in size and stature, he has a peaceful way about him. Antoine is not one to waste words, and his undying love for his wife Olga and her for him is one of the more authentic adult relationships I have seen on screen in years.
                                        Luis Zahera as Xan and Diego Anido as Lorenzo

But, it's the two brothers who have lived in the small town their entire lives, who have a profound dislike for the couple, again Antoine is their target of childish jokes(offering a ride to town and pulling away) verbal abuse, harassment, tampering with their water supply they need for their vegetables.

Antoine, against the wishes of Olga, starts to record the brothers when they are near him as his complaint to the police has seemed to fall on deaf ears, he wants some proof they are harassing them.
In one scene it backfires on him. This has some of the best mounting tension that I have ever seen in a film, better than most thrillers that have been put out in decades, the acting and directing is what really make the film work. Everyone involved should be proud of this film.

Antone even tries to reason with the brothers and offers them a drink, which he knows they can't refuse. Trying to be an adult about the situation and discuss it rationally, clearly has no effect on the brothers and one day when Antoine is walking with their dog, they follow in one of the creepiest and unfortunate scenes I have seen this year.

I'm not going to share any more about what happens next, but I will be adding this film to my collection when it becomes available on physical media, it will be a welcome addition.




Comments