Suburra Movie Review- One Of The Best Mob Movies & My Personal Favorite Film Of The Year!(Unearthed Films)

 I have watched a lot of mob/action films in my life and some stand out above the rest, you all know the titles, The Godfather, Goodfellas, etc. Suburra deserves to be in that company, there are a lot of similar scenarios that happen, but the tone is different here, there is an uneasiness throughout the film that cannot be explained, you have to watch it and see for yourself.

Politics has a play in the story, power struggles, the energy is unmatched in what I have seen this year. Our gangster in the tale wants to turn the waterfront of Rome into a Las Vegas, he and the other mob bosses want to keep the peace and work together on the building of it.

A gang war breaks out and challenges the hopes of having this dream seem hopeless but of course, there is so much more to the story than just that.


Samurai(Claudio Amendola-above) is an emotionless, cold, and very to-the-point kind of character. Not one to waste words or even his or anyone else's time, that is proven in the first few minutes we meet him.



Equally as strong is Pierfrancesco Favino-above, who plays Filippo Malgradi,  a politician who is in the works to get the wishes of Samurai passed through the government.

As the film progresses, the tension builds more and more, it intertwines a number of side stories that are handled seamlessly. I couldn't turn it off and I had thought the film would turn down familiar territory, only to surprise me in the end. I applaud a film that can still do that, even though the film is from 2015, it's the best film I have seen this year. I could go on about the film all day long but I would bore you the reader, I also don't want to give too much away -this is one of those films that the less you know, the better. It's how I went in. 

I have been reviewing for over 13 years and there are movies that are superior, I know it's only October, but I don't think I will see a better film this year.                                            This is such a beautifully filmed movie as well.

This just became available to Unearthed Films this year, it was just released in North America on Sept 26, 2023. 

                                  

     

                           SUBURRA (2015) Trailer from Unearthed Films on Vimeo.



Comments