re:Uniting Movie Review-In Select Theaters In Vancouver & Toronto-Available Soon On Video On Demand


Laura Adkin's re: Uniting is one of those films that stick with you after you watch it, I am sure it will have the same impact on those who see it. Such a great group of characters, each of whom might remind you of someone you know, or at least used to.

Shot on the beautiful Bowen Island, here in British Columbia, Canada, re: Uniting is a weekend of six friends who get together for their 25th reunion weekend after college. Everyone has their flaws and a lot of secrets come out throughout the weekend, there is anger, empathy, and sadness, but overall there is a great amount of love & respect that comes through in each of the characters.

What we see here are real people, facing real situations that impact those in the story, also we as the viewer, get to know these people as the film progresses. Often times I have found with certain films of late that there is always a scene that just doesn't work in the film, but here there is not a scene that does not feel like it was well thought out and making sure it works for the actors as well as being authentic.

I found the discussions to be real, at times an uneasy discussion that I will not get into here, but I can't suggest tissues enough, but be prepared to laugh and be surprised, but enjoy the film, as the performances are some of the best I have seen this year, so far.

Conversations are had between both the men and women at separate times in the film, both of which some real talk is happening and others are just drinking and spending their time together, kid-free for the weekend! 

One of the best parts of the film for me is when Micheal joins Carrie on the rocks by the water after she calls her husband. She has been crying and he tells her not to cry, or do, as he wipes a tear away, which is such a great moment in the film. The camera just rests on the actors and the water, it allows for the moment to be.

I had the opportunity to speak with Laura Adkin last week, she worked tirelessly to make sure that she had everything that she needed to make the film work and was willing to discuss anything that her actors needed or had concerns about. She is the writer, co-producer & director of the film and it is currently playing in select Cineplex Odeon theaters across the country. The film will play in Vancouver at Cineplex Odeon International Village & in Toronto at Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas, with several showings throughout the day. I checked the Cineplex Odeon app and the film is also available for pre-order. But, if you are a collector of physical media like I am, Laura Adkins assured me that there will be discs available, eventually, even if she has to make them herself. No street date as of yet.

If you have not seen the interview, here is the link to it, and below is the trailer for the film. 

If you are in one of the cities where the film is playing, please go see it, or rent it when it becomes available in your area. Also, if you enjoyed the film, reach out to the filmmakers and let them know, but most of all support Canadian film!

                      

Comments