The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan & Milady Playing At VIFF Starting May 10, 2024

I am excited that these films are going to be back in the theater together and as a double bill on certain days(details below). I did not get the opportunity to see these films on the big screen, but now with VIFF showing them again, I might have to make a trip to Vancouver.
I have bought both movies on the Cineplex app with my Scene points.
If you want to stay and view both parts of the film on the same day, below are the only two days during this run.
(Please note: The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan, is only showing on the dates below:)

Friday, May 10, 4:20 PM--The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan
Friday, May 10, 7:00 PM--The Three Musketeers: Milday

Saturday, May 11, 4:00 PM-The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan
Saturday, May 11, 6:45 PM -The Three Musketeers: Milady

(below is from VIFF)
The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan
Martin Bourboulon, France, 2023

The Dumas classic has been filmed many times, but this latest French production will stand the test of time. Martin Bourbolon’s movie trusts to the spine of one of the great adventure stories. Gauche country boy D’Artagnan (François Civil) arrives in Paris in 1625 to join the king’s musketeers. After just hours in the capital, he’s lined up duels with Athos (Vincent Cassel), Porthos (Pio Marmaï), and Aramis (Romain Duris). Meanwhile, Cardinal Richelieu is plotting to push Louis XIII into war.

FRI. May 10, 4:20PM    

SAT. May 11, 4:00PM        

Purchase tickets here


My thoughts on The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan 

Dec 9, 2023
The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan 
What an absolutely beautiful film and such a fantastic telling of the classic story!
The costumes look great, and the buildings in which they filmed this, are breathtaking.
Louis Garrel, who plays the King (Louis XIII), is perfectly cast, a very noble and proud King 
The cinematography is some of the best I have seen this year.
The heart and loyalty of The Musketeers have a strength that we don't often see when the story is told. 
None of the usual bickering I have seen in previous versions.
Everything in the film works. I would definitely see it again on the big screen, I rented it last night and just finished it on the Cineplex app.
The Three Musketeers: Milady(or part two), hopefully picks up where this one ends, they do leave us with a cliffhanger...
In French with English subtitles.

View the trailer here

                      


(below is from VIFF)

The Three Musketeers - Part II: Milady
Martin Bourboulon, France, 2023
Picking up right on the heels of Part I (the two films were shot at the same time), this is the second half of the seminal Alexandre Dumas swashbuckler, shot through with wit, swagger and spectacularly dynamic action scenes. Although Milady (the perfectly cast Eva Green) appeared to perish at the end of the previous installment, you can’t keep a bad woman down, apparently, and she’s back to seduce D’Artagnan even as war breaks out and Athos, Porthos and Aaramis are sent to the front...

FRI. MAY 10, 7:00PM, VCT
SAT. MAY 11, 6:45PM, VCT
SUN. MAY 12, 6:30PM, VCT
MON. MAY 13, 8:40PM, VCT

Purchase tickets here
My thoughts on The Three Musketeers: Milady
April 20, 2024
I can't remember when I found a sequel as good as the first part, but this is definitely one of them! It's as though they have just cut the film in half it follows so closely, that I believe it would be hard to get people to sit for 3 1/2 hours for the film in its entirety.
The directing, cinematography, the acting, the stunts and sword fights, the buildings and landscape, to the incredible score, everything works in this film!
The Three Musketeers D'Artagnan was my favorite film of last year, and the sequel is my favorite film of this year, so far.
In French with English subtitles.
The Three Musketeers was one of my favorite stories growing up, and I remember when I and my sister would visit our grandparents in Portland every summer. They had a record with a play of the book someone had recorded, which I would act out certain parts of, great memories, and these films bring the spirit of the book back.
It's made me want to read the novel again, I will have to get another copy soon.




View the trailer here
                                                   

Comments