I might be one of the few people who would like to see a new movie by Cheech & Chong, being that I have never smoked any kind of drug or done much of any kind of partying in my life. I was born in the 60s, unlike a lot of people my age, or older, I was never interested in doing any of those things. I was around it all the time, in the 70s it was even more so, and it was hard to say no, but I understood comedy and what I thought was funny. Both of my older brothers were really into Cheech & Chong, so it was no accident that I had heard them in the house.
These were just two regular guys who knew what audiences wanted to hear. A lot of their performance was improvisation based on the interviews in this film, which includes archival footage of their performances and interviews and some current interviews.
Some of their struggles with each other occurred as their careers took off, making them a household name. They seem to still have some animosity to this day, but they seem to be over with at the same time. I think it was just a scene for the film, as they are more like brothers.
Their first big hit was "Dave's Not Here." the sketch was all improvised according to the two, and that would land them their first film, with Lou Adler, who would produce their first album. Lou Adler had worked with musical greats like Carole King and her album Tapestry.Mr Adler would get George Harrison to play on their hit single "Basketball Jones."
It was very enjoyable to see these two driving down the road together and reminiscing about their 50+-year friendship. Their bond has kept them very open and honest with each other, something we don't see much of anymore.When asked about their experience on their first film and how they hardly made any money, Tommy Chong shrugged it off as a learning experience and was grateful for all that he had.
It's memories like these that make them more human than what we might be used to. Often, we are shown people we can't relate to, but they have always been relatable, which is why people still love them 50+ years later.




Comments
Post a Comment